Profile image for BarryW

I see there is a planning application for 60 The High Street [Budgens I think] to be changed to a cafe/bar Loafers.
Should we regret the loss of a food shop or be happy that somebody wants to invest money to keep the High Street vibrant?

By BarryW at 16:56 on 03/09/12

• Profile image for thurti365

Of course you would "see there is a planning application" because I now understand you are a local councillor. Are you asking this question with your personal hat on or your councillor hat on and what is your own opinion?

By thurti365 at 19:07 on 05/09/12

• Profile image for In Any Event UK

I think it is great, exactly what the High Street needs. We used to live on North Street in Bedminster and when it opened it really assisted in the devlopment of the high street, surprised no one has done this sooner in such a lively town.

By In Any Event UK at 22:25 on 05/09/12

• Profile image for limawhiskey

I know, why don't we close all the regular shops in the High Street, pedestrianise it and open a huge Food Court ?

By limawhiskey at 23:21 on 05/09/12

• Profile image for Alt_Voice

Is this the Planning Application?
    12/P/1498/F
    6 The Old Bake House, 42A High Street, Portishead
    Change of use from retail (A1) to a coffee/sandwich bar ( A3).

By Alt_Voice at 13:59 on 06/09/12

• Profile image for BarryW

To Alt-Voice, no: that is yet another one. The Cafe-bar is at 60 High Street, the number is either 1467 or 1477.
    None of these is yet on the North Somerset Council web site.
    For the other posters, I just wanted to draw attention to the possible change on the High Street and gauge reaction

By BarryW at 16:59 on 06/09/12

To Alt-Voice, no: that is yet another one. The Cafe-bar is at 60 High Street, the number is either 1467 or 1477.
    None of these is yet on the North Somerset Council web site.
    For the other posters, I just wanted to draw attention to the possible change on the High Street and gauge reaction

By BarryW at 16:59 on 06/09/12

But you have not answered the question BarryW. Do you wish to guage reaction as a councillor or personally. If you wish to know just for your own personal interest then that is one thing because you are in the same position as us all. If you are asking as a councillor, then I want to know how you will manage this information and how it may affect the proposal. For example, you could use the answers on here to evidence a recommendation of support or against at town council meetings if it comes to a vote. As you have posted a comment, it would seem you probably have an opinion of your own? What is it please? Look forward to your replies as this is a most intriguing High Street proposal and I hear that one of your colleagues has already supported it in the local paper.

By thurti365 at 18:25 on 06/09/12

Replacing a utilitarian business with a destination business will be good for the High Street. Leave Waitrose, Lidl, the Coop and Sainburys (closing supermarkets even before it has been built) to provide utility shopping. The High Street needs to attract businesses that give it an attractive ambiance and makes it a leisure time destination. As mentioned on this thread, Loungers has brought life to North Street, Bedminster. Similar businesses have done the same for Gloucester Road, Bishopston.

By Alt_Voice at 11:41 on 07/09/12

To thurti 365. I thought your earlier question wasa merely rhetorical, but to answer it.
    I do not keep two different heads, and put one on when I am a 'Town Councillor' and another when I am not.
    Any and all information leads me to take a view, when it is necessary to take a view, on any matter before the Town Council.
    In this case as it was then not being reported I wanted to see what reaction there was from those on this channel who talk, usually, sense regardless of if I agree with them or not.
    At the Town Council Planning Committee Meeting I voted in favour of advising North Somerset Council that the Town Council has no objection to them passing this application, as did a majority of those present.

Hope this is clearer for you.

Barry Walters

By BarryW at 15:53 on 07/09/12

• Profile image for 3_2_1

And for what it's worth town councils are broadly impotent in planning matters and can be (and often are) completely overruled by the county council who are the real planners - so it doesn't really matter much either way.

By 3_2_1 at 16:48 on 07/09/12

• Profile image for craigj

Great news , I agree the lounge cafe bar on north street in Bedminster is a super place. The High street needs more options if it is to compete with the proposed bars on the marina.

By craigj at 08:19 on 08/09/12

Thank you for your response Sir. I do not do rhetoric - any questions I ask are for essential information. I am happy to tell you why I was asking and that is because a neighbour who has attended some council meetings mentioned that at times other councillors do (to use your own words), "keep two different heads" and even sometimes three especially when undertaking surveys and seeking public opinion. I do hope this doesn't happen in this town.

By thurti365 at 08:36 on 11/09/12

thurtl365, our Town Councillors are largely as one with North Somerset Council. Most share the same political allegiances and in a number of cases are the same person, being both a Councillor on the Town Council and the District Council.

By Alt_Voice at 10:16 on 11/09/12

I don't really understand your comment AltVoice but my knowledge is probably rudimentary compared to yours. If a Portishead councillor is both district and town, do they share their actions as a district councillor regarding Portishead with their fellow town councillors or only those in the same party? Can they carry out personal actions using their councillor title without authority from their town and district colleagues? I find all this so confusing but I do want to understand it more. Perhaps BarryW can help if you can't as he seems to be the man in the know?

By thurti365 at 19:44 on 11/09/12

It means, they don't necessarily do what is in the best interests of all of the residents of our town.

By Alt_Voice at 13:33 on 12/09/12

• Profile image for jojomojomoto

Don't you mean they hardly ever do what is in the best interests of all of the residents of our town.

By jojomojomoto at 15:56 on 12/09/12

There is a town council meeting tonight at 7.30 in the Folk Hall. I believe in giving them the benefit of the doubt until I find otherwise. I also want to put names to faces because some are always in the press with some story or another and other names I never see. Thanks for all the information.

By thurti365 at 18:06 on 12/09/12

Join the Discussion

max 4000 characters

Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min rent is bigger than Max rent