Profile image for AllNamesTaken

The new pub on the marina is getting closer - and has mutated into a hotel made from ship's containers!
It's just off Newfoundland Way, opposite the boat yard.
About time we got more variety at Port Marine...but I guess not everyone will agree

http://tinyurl.com/3ccr3ww

http://tinyurl.com/3l426ps

By AllNamesTaken at 14:30 on 19/07/11

• Profile image for superviser

How did they get planning permission to build that aweful pile of junk. The area around the Marina used to be a great unspoilt place, it now looks like the in place for footballers wags and chavs.
    The best part for us now when we pop in to shop is seeing it in the rear veiw mirror as we drive out. We would not move back into the area around the marina if you paid us

By superviser at 14:21 on 25/01/13

• Profile image for CityClarky

Supervisor, how sad, you dug out a two year old story, just to spout your negative views.

Unspoilt place? Really? Google portishead docks. With regards to moving back, not sure you can afford it on your minimum wage, also you would need to put your name on the council waiting list.

By CityClarky at 22:37 on 27/01/13

• Profile image for Alt_Voice

H&W is my new local. The re-cycled shipping containers make it much more interesting than the identikit pub-restaurant originally planned. Over the years I've tried all of Portishead's pubs, and while each has its own unique charm, the new H&W stands out as the most welcoming and very popular with everyone excepting sad superviser (25/01/13).

By Alt_Voice at 16:04 on 28/01/13

Not sure he's happy about paying £4.40 for a lager and still sore theres no weatherspoons I expect.

By CityClarky at 21:14 on 28/01/13

• Profile image for mlcbiker

Shame the H&W dining area customer service side of things is very poor (like so many other 'chain' themed pub restaurants) !! I don't blame the youngsters themselves who work and wait there, but again incompetent management for not training them adequately and doubtless paying them atrocious wages.

By mlcbiker at 21:18 on 29/01/13

Are you kidding, service is second to none in portishead.

Great place, hence why it's always full

Hope Jacks and the royal act quickly or die. They need a decent bar area where people can meet, especially the Royal which has potential to be the best venue in town.

By CityClarky at 18:54 on 30/01/13

• Profile image for mlcbiker

Oh well, you're easily pleased then, and seemingly someone who accepts below par service if you think it's second to none in H&W !!

By mlcbiker at 20:50 on 30/01/13

I'm not easy pleased, i'm just not a negative whinger .

Lighten up sad boy.

By CityClarky at 18:32 on 31/01/13

I have kept boats both in the water at the Marina and also in the yard, recently moved out from the Anchorage, prchased a place in one of the villagers on the way to Clevdon.
    Had a busy start to the year my company employing another 3 people. The typical nonsense being stated takes me back to my original point wags and Chavs.

By superviser at 13:40 on 01/02/13

• Profile image for AllNamesTaken

A few comments here...
    superviser (interesting spelling) - when you pop in to shop how to you see this aweful (awful) pile of junk it in your rear veiw (it's view by the way) mirror? Unless you made a specific trip down Newfoundland Way on your extended trip back to one of the villagers (village?) on the way to Clevdon (I'll stop now).

I've been in there a reasonable amount since it opened. I agree that the management needs to give the new, young staff some more guidance as service seems to be slipping. However, it is a refreshing change and I have not spotted any Footballer's WAGS or Chavs - maybe they have their own night?

On a summer's night - with the front opened up I can see it will be a great place for a cool drink...and maybe a chat with a chav if I am lucky :)

By AllNamesTaken at 14:13 on 01/02/13

The spelling police just dropped into town, you do what ever you want in the junk yard, you wont see me there, i will be up at the Royal for a beer.

By superviser at 14:27 on 01/02/13

• Profile image for Hillcran

Surely it is a case of 'each to their own'. I don't like the building itself but I am more traditionalist in my views on buildings. I ventured into the H&W and found both the atmosphere welcoming and the service no better or worse than one would expect. I think it must be a bonus for the young pubgoers, days that have long passed me by, and I'm sure that for every occasion that poor service, or somebodys interpretation of it, has been experienced, the times good service has been given would outweigh such. New businesses have teething problems and I think that rather than use these forums to be negative because of one bad experience, it is better to get over it and don't drink elsewhere. After all, it would be a boring world if we all liked everything equally. I also visited the Poacher one lunch hour, who unfortunaetly are not doing meals and found their staff very pleasant. Yet I probably wouldn't go to the same place at night time these days as it is quite obviously for the youngsters, each to their own, both are local businesses and both need support but to criticise so vehemently after one incident does seem rather an over reaction.

By Hillcran at 15:42 on 01/02/13

• Profile image for jojomojomoto

For you to say the Poacher is for the youngsters you are wrong I go on Wednesday night for open mic and you could hardly call us youngsters?

By jojomojomoto at 16:01 on 01/02/13

With no disrespect, i rather think you are missing the point; my problem is that Portishead has become like the developments is Spain with properties on the front line being built at the expense of all the early developments.
    With properties and buildings at the front being the highest with no regard for the people who have made Portishead there home, and commiting to the new developments in the early stages. The properties behind have lost the veiw, the light and to my mind have a claustrophobic feel to them, much as many of the over developed resorts have in Spain. This to my mind has lost much of the Portishead charm and character that brought us to Portishead, leaving the feeling of over priced, over developed rabbit hutches with no charm or style.
    This you may think is a negitive veiw, but i have been in and around Portishead for many years, over development is over development and thats what i and many others feel.

By superviser at 16:09 on 01/02/13

supervisor, there is nothing in that comment that I disagree with but your earlier comments were targetting an establishment and your assumption of the character of its patrons. I first looked at the Marina before choosing the Vale and the reasons you have given about overdevelopment also swayed our choice. I am neither a wag? or a chav? I hope but I do think that very little thought went into Port Marine and the surrounding areas other than profit. A walk along the houses on the dockside this morning showed how badly/cheaply they were constructed with render laying on the pathway and more about to fall, discoloured buildings that already look tatty and the door furniture rusting already due to its cheapness. It's a shame that more hadn't been put into it.

jojomoto, I am in my mid sixties and retired and in all honesty do not believe that The Poacher, however wonderful a pub life surrounds it with its music and other attractions would be the ideal place at night time for my husband and I too sit for a quiet drink and a chat. Though we do now prefer to use such places at lunchtimes and will happily try The Poacher for food in the future when they start to provide it. I am pretty sure that, assuming you are male, you do not get many females of my age group attending your openmic nights, it is simply not our 'scene' but I think its wonderful that such activities flourish.

By Hillcran at 16:34 on 01/02/13

Another point jojomoto is that I do not disagree with pubs catering for the younger generation, after all that is where the money comes from not from the odd tipple that my husband and I may indulge in occasionally. I hope that pubs like The Poacher do well as if they don't get used then they may well end up like the pub up the hill and that benefits nobody.

By Hillcran at 16:38 on 01/02/13

I Take my example from Milford Haven marina, same story many apartments built around the Marina, many sold to celebrities as investments and yes many footballers have also invested in them. None of them ever live in them, they are to expensive for the locals to buy, so they have become a little wothless enclave.
    I dont see quite the same in Portishead but i do see many similarities. Developers know that water side equals big profits with no regards for local communities and the people that have to live with them. This takes me back to the shipping containers, they are the wrong side of the water they should have gone to avonmouth, i feel sure those people that had them built in front of them would like to see them shipped back to the correct location.

By superviser at 17:11 on 01/02/13

I was in conversation with a local lady a while ago and she pointed out that the exact thing happenned to a friend of hers who bought one of the expensive detached houses that overlooked the lock gate area. When we first viewed those houses prior to moving here they had a wonderful view. Yet within a few years, and once all the houses with spectacular views were sold, new highrise type apartment blocks were built in front of them. Surely this is misselling by the developers but as the developers are hand in glove with council and government nothing will ever be done about it. I agree with your comments about the shipping containers also, as I feel that any pub that poses as an upmarket venue should at least adopt a little class in designing its structure.

By Hillcran at 17:29 on 01/02/13

Age is how you feel Hillcran I am retirement age as well as for the containers I hope they gave them a good clean before they used them ha ha and yes the planners could have planned the Marina area a hell of lot better I have said it before it's a disgrace

By jojomojomoto at 17:59 on 01/02/13

Supervisor: your comments are both disrespectful and ill informed. Good people live in this area and I don't no at what expense of others you cite.

The shops on the high street would have shut if portishead was not developed, and pubs were closing down. Now the pubs on the high street are being refurbished and old ones reopened. The town is vibrant in a soon to be triple dip recession.

People vote with their feet and they like it here. Towns that adapt to change thrive, those that don't die.

Glad your negative views won't spoil my rather nice pint at the containers.

PS. Royal is great, but rubbish bar area, it could learn from H&W or like an unchanging town, die

By CityClarky at 20:04 on 01/02/13

One other point. The masterplan had the big blocks on them from the start. If someone buys a home on a development without looking, they have theirselves to Blame.

There are no victims in this story.

By CityClarky at 20:32 on 01/02/13

CityClarky you sound like you know it all how long have you lived in Portishead not long I suspect and you do like to wind people up spouting your rubbish there are a lot of people on here that have more respect for this town than you will ever have!!

By jojomojomoto at 20:43 on 01/02/13

Jojomojomoto; I think you are confused. My views are sound and feel you have failed to comprehend the messaging. Or perhaps the confusion comes just from your age?

By CityClarky at 20:50 on 01/02/13

It would be nice if you answered my question instead of insinuating that I am confused just another insult to add to your collection no respect but then I did not expect anything else

By jojomojomoto at 21:21 on 01/02/13

Was brought up here, schooling at high down from the start, so guess that makes me ok. How sad when someone in this town is judge by time living here rather than who they are.

I feel ashamed how people on this site belittle new people and talk down the location of their home. We have many not very nice looking homes in pre development portishead, including up the hill, but you don't hear the newcomers spouting their tripe about this.

Reflect people.

By CityClarky at 21:34 on 01/02/13

Also......you earn respect and your payday is yet to come.

By CityClarky at 21:37 on 01/02/13

Shall we just beg to differ and leave it at that

By jojomojomoto at 22:26 on 01/02/13

Fine with that, but all this negative, lets moan about everything isn't right nor healthly.

This is a great town with great people, regardless of location, wealth, colour, sex, time in town, colour of your hair. And I suppose age......

By CityClarky at 22:34 on 01/02/13

I agree
    This is a great town with great people, regardless of location, wealth, colour, sex, time in town, colour of your hair. And I suppose age..but have you read the Posset Pie website if not you should

By jojomojomoto at 22:53 on 01/02/13

Oh............it a matrix moment.

Its all small fry, not the halocaust. Lets smile more.

Looks a good site though and expect this comment to be deleted in due course.....

By CityClarky at 23:12 on 01/02/13

Well City Clarky, your matrix comment tells me perhaps you are awake and not asleep.
    You are correct in your saying their are some good people around here, you will know its people that make things happen not buidings.
    A town only dies when the people let it, i know Portishead would have survived very nicely with or without the over development.
    You enjoy your pint, watch out for clandestines, they could steal it.

By superviser at 12:51 on 02/02/13

Join the Discussion

max 4000 characters

Local Jobs

Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min rent is bigger than Max rent