Profile image for jojomojomoto

Do we need a Portishead Pound to help save local Businesses ?

By jojomojomoto at 11:55 on 20/01/13

• Profile image for Hillcran

All that local businesses need to survive is local loyalty. There has been much written recently about Tesco, Sainsbury etc but the local alternatives are excellent. Not only in quality but price if all things are taken into consideration. I buy all my meat from the farm shop at Portbury where at least I know exactly
    where it comes from as well as supporting a local business. The greengrocers in the High Street both offer quality products also. What I find very disappointing with modern day life is that people won't bat an eyelid to pay £1000 or more for a larger TV or £400 for the latest phone and yet they can't survive without a Tesco or whatever. It is a foll who actually beleives that meat products from any of the large corporates is of any better quality than another. The recent horse meat revelation actually poroved that the majority of these large companies all source their meat from the same suppliers anyway from companies overseas wheer quality control is not as strict as it should be. I prefer to see horses running around fields thank you. Misguided priorities and snobbery dictate peoples food shopping these days sadly.

By Hillcran at 11:13 on 21/01/13

• Profile image for Mikeyb2010

No, I don't really see how local currencies work, and I think you run the risk of driving customers away who do not wish to be tied as to where they spend their money

By Mikeyb2010 at 20:12 on 10/02/13

• Profile image for lakerman

Surely protection for local business is contrary to sound economic principles of supply and demand and promote inefficiencies and high prices. The prices in Portishead are already higher than Clevedon and Bristol.Local traders should either compete or shut up shop..

By lakerman at 11:07 on 23/06/13

Join the Discussion

max 4000 characters

Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min rent is bigger than Max rent