Profile image for thepickler

Has anyone got any tips for looking after chickens? I have just got two - Posh and Pecks! They were badly treated before and have lost a few feathers. They are now happy and running around my garden. Just want to make sure they have everything they need! Thanks.

By thepickler at 11:15 on 10/04/11

• Profile image for tamsyngrant

They just need food (layers mash/pellets if they are laying), water, corn for a treat, grit for digestion and they'll be pretty happy. They do like a perch to roost on at night and somewhere to shelter in the day from sun/rain and a nice bit of earth to have a dust bath in! We've got 4 bantams, Gertie, Silvie, Ginger and Lulu, that keep us supplied with lovely eggs for breakfast!

By tamsyngrant at 23:29 on 10/04/11

• Profile image for Rutlington

Hi pickler,
    Congratulations! We've got a couple of chooks too - Baba and Maya (named by toddlers).
    They love tinned sweetcorn and I often give them our leftovers from the night before as an afternoon treat. They particularly love veggie scraps, rice and pasta. I never give them meat or dairy though.
    Good luck!

By Rutlington at 12:55 on 11/04/11

• Profile image for thepickler

Thanks everyone. Some very handy tips there! The chucks seem to be enjoying their free range life. I've had four eggs in two days. They have even made friends with the dog.

By thepickler at 13:31 on 11/04/11

• Profile image for MDSHydroGeo

Dig the soil compacted in their run in the heat dust mites and flies with the help of a cat chasing up and down outside the wire, they will enjoy whipping out worms from under your fork spikes. Rather the same as gardening cats who like to eat grass while it is cut with shears ! Do not wear sandals.

By MDSHydroGeo at 00:25 on 16/05/11

Join the Discussion

max 4000 characters

Local Jobs

Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min rent is bigger than Max rent