Profile image for d10brp

I see that the Lock Keeper has closed until further notice, anyone know why?

By d10brp at 15:06 on 18/10/12

• Profile image for sarahmac

I have always wondered how a business can be viable at that location. It does have its busy days but is usually quiet. I think the main problem is that everybody who has tried to make a go of it has concentrated too much on turning it into some kind of exclusive upmarket affair which it simply isn't large enough to bmake financial sense. A simple cafe type environment would see more of the passing walkers stop in for a coffee and possible a sandwich. Selling dozens of coffees an sandwich makes more sense than selling a few expensive top notch lunches.

By sarahmac at 16:55 on 20/10/12

• Profile image for jojomojomoto

According to the website they are closed for a refurb http://tinyurl.com/9w4659k

By jojomojomoto at 19:25 on 20/10/12

• Profile image for d10brp

I know but since when does a business undergo some sort of refurbishment without an end date?

By d10brp at 19:28 on 20/10/12

• Profile image for reedy

we are closed for good.. due to owner taken seriously ill and not trusting anyone to carry on running it.. to your comments regarding the restaurant we were a cafe during the day serving cakes and coffee and serving ploughmans sandwhiches and fishcake and burger for lunch hardly top notch???? and upmarket in the evening and fully booked most evenings! same old comments from portishead folk pass their judgment on everything with out actually knowing how the business was doing and CLEARLY what it was serving! because thats not top notch lunch! on the food front we had just been awarded rossettes and another award from bristol food mag!

By reedy at 08:40 on 22/10/12

Relax, the poster, like a lot of other people may not have been since the change in ownership and it definitely wasn't much of a lunch place before. Plus when I last checked the menu it did look more upmarket, which isn't a criticism. I was looking forward to visiting soon.

Hope the situation gets resolved soon

By d10brp at 08:57 on 22/10/12

No it was just to the lunch comment... not your comments D10.. it will not be opening again at all im affraid under the lock keeper he is to ill to carry on.. i was the head chef there and we have all lost our jobs.. so its ready for the next person to come and have a go! sad news as believe it or not we were doing so well!

By reedy at 09:29 on 22/10/12

• Profile image for caththegalley

p.s and in relation to The Lock Keeper, I am very sad to hear it will be no more! I was hearing some great feedback on the chef (Josh?) that they had. Here's hoping they can all find secure employment again soon!

By caththegalley at 12:15 on 22/10/12

hi cath... thankyou i am josh! :) iv got a few interviews lined up so fingers crossed! hope you business is going well!

By reedy at 12:27 on 22/10/12

• Profile image for jojomojomoto

I would not take any notice of Danpan (Barry Walters ) his time will come as for your cafe have had many a good brekie there so no worries there

By jojomojomoto at 12:34 on 22/10/12

• Profile image for angiwitch

sad that the cafe has closed, just moved here, and it was the nearest place for us to go for a coffee and friendly service, we were hoping to sample the evening menu soon.

By angiwitch at 21:18 on 25/10/12

• Profile image for mlcbiker

So, the demise again of this rather fated restaurant !! Jacks manages to keep going despite the somewhat arrogant Bottelinos adjacent with its poorly trained staff. Yes, I know, two different types of eatery. So, why can't the Lock Keeper get it right.....third time possibly ???

By mlcbiker at 15:53 on 28/10/12

• Profile image for heyceedubya

"we are closed for good.. due to owner taken seriously ill"....................5th entry Above

By heyceedubya at 18:21 on 28/10/12

• Profile image for mlcbiker

......and he can't entrust the management to anybody else....??? Why ?

By mlcbiker at 10:38 on 29/10/12

• Profile image for justmoved

Just recently purchased a groupon deal for a seven course taster menu at the lock keeper invited parents and booked around 3 weeks ago. Turned up last night to a closed restaurant, really disappointing would have been great to receive a phone call letting us know!! Recently moved to portishead and was so excited...such a shame hopefully someone will buy it!! I'm hoping I get a refund! Hope the owner is ok and it is open again soon!! Any other recommendations of where to eat would be great?!!

By justmoved at 21:28 on 31/10/12

I got an email from Groupon about getting a refund yesterday. If you didn't get one it might be because they had already logged your code as used so you would have to get in touch with Groupon.

By d10brp at 22:12 on 31/10/12

• Profile image for Appleman

Can't help but raise an eyebrow when a restaurant states they have closed for technical reasons. It starts to conjure up all sorts of interpretations…..Is the cooker broken? Have the health inspectors been in? Has the owner lost the keys or the chef lost his way? Why not simply be transparent and just say, due to the owner's ill health etc etc….Have to say, I was pretty miffed about the group on fiasco. No communication, but thankfully did get a refund! This place is in a prime location and should work out really well for someone!

By Appleman at 22:10 on 05/11/12

• Profile image for portpeop

Guys, I am writing a story with regards to the lock keeper, everyone above has some really great interesting points, whatever your view or experience or if you worked for the company and can shed some first hand light please get in touch at victoria4251@ymail.com

By portpeop at 12:09 on 06/11/12

• Profile image for PC1949

Seems to me portpeep you have missed the boat ! All of the previous posters have already written the fairy-story.

By PC1949 at 10:24 on 07/11/12

• Profile image for troy40

hi

By troy40 at 17:03 on 07/11/12

I see the lock keeper sunk into the mud again. Not at all surprised. Dreadful place, **** service, terrible food. Went there recently with work collegues, and got harrassed all night by a boring drunk, think it was the owner. I had rabbit with some sort of lemon mayonnaise on it, lemon mayonnaise......on a rabbit stew?? ***? It was disgusting. Imagine pouring gravy over your yorky puds, then pouring salad cream all over them. Would you? Its all very well being inventive and making weird willy wonka food, but its got to work hasnt it? Nothing wrong with steaks, ribs, burgers, pies, salads. Look forward to the LK 3. ...............

By troy40 at 17:11 on 07/11/12

haha how sour troy40 that wouldnt of been recently more like march/april! pointless man you are with a pointless comment rabbit and lemon mayo is a classic combination! mind your food is, as stated burgers and ribs soooo basically not a clue! hahaha

By reedy at 16:24 on 08/11/12

• Profile image for cattycat2

We really liked the Lockeeper and went there regularly. We also met the owner who seemed really pleasant (hope he is OK). We had booked a table for Christmas Day as the menu seemed really interesting - does anyone know how I can get the £120 deposit back that we paid?

By cattycat2 at 13:02 on 09/11/12

• Profile image for KimmyC

I think it is really very difficult for any Independent in todays climate - Simply competing with the major corporates is a daily battle and I think 'hat's off' to any one who is trying.

Jacks manages to stay consistent because it is part of a major chain - the Fosters group. With equally phenomenal budgets and backing.

I do feel sorry for the Lock Keeper as a local marina resident I have had nothing but good experiences and found the food to be incredible - especially on the new Game & Fish tasting nights that they had started. Agreed it didn't cater to the everyday needs of a Marina resident or those with young families, but that doesn't mean that what they were doing should be discounted.

I think it is a case of third time lucky for the place - and anything I can do to support it - I will happily do next time around.

Equally any Chef that is talented & creative should be supported - although I do agree - a better fit to the needs of Marina residents would be great - and I am sure would limit the risk of going under.

Independent shops and businesses should be supported. The world would be a very uninteresting place with a load of faceless, soulless corporations serving us on a daily basis.

By KimmyC at 14:14 on 09/11/12

Reedy, Im not sure I understood your input, it appears you are illiterate. It made no sense at all. 'That you wouldnt of recently been' is not english my friend. Chav.

By troy40 at 10:41 on 12/11/12

• Profile image for BS200

TAKE 3: Now an Irish Italian Restaurant. Popped in and it had quite an atmosphere for a little place.

By BS200 at 21:16 on 06/12/12

Join the Discussion

max 4000 characters

Local Jobs

Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min rent is bigger than Max rent