Profile image for Hillcran

Hi, having been reading today about the Nailsea Councillor who walked out of the town council meeting because she wasn't allowed to use gadgets that may deter her from taking an active part in the meeting and the two Portishead Councillors who apparently wlaked out of a meeting because they had been confronted by local people who had a genuine greivance to air, isn't it time that all these meetings were recorded or videoed. This would not only be a feasible option to let all residents have access to decsions that affect us all but would allow councillors like Mrs Blatchford be able to review the meetings at leisure rather than try to rush taking notes at meetings.
Just a thought but local councillors do seem to be getting a hard time lately.

By Hillcran at 16:20 on 17/10/12

• Profile image for jojomojomoto

Just a thought but local Councillors do seem to be getting a hard time lately and so they should these Councillors were elected by the people and according to Posset Pie are not doing there job properly for the people

By jojomojomoto at 22:35 on 18/10/12

• Profile image for Hillcran

Not being one to have used these forums until lately, it seems that people leave ideas for discussion but then never leave any further replies. I left a comment on thisisbristol and the whole discussion disappeared which seems a bit silly really.
    Surely as the decisons made by local council are a matter that involves every person in the town, there should be an open forum for discussion about their decisions and the manner in which they behave. Yet everybody seems to want to avoid these important matters.
    If somebody I voted for walks out of a meeting I would like to know why and yet nothing gets reported in Portishead but the same thing happens in Nailsea and it's in the press. So how are people meant to find out, don't the local press send reproters to these meetings?

By Hillcran at 08:08 on 19/10/12

jojomoto, where can I get a copy of this Posset pie you mention, assuming its another paper?

By Hillcran at 08:13 on 19/10/12

Check Alt _Voice post he has a link

By jojomojomoto at 14:20 on 19/10/12

• Profile image for thurti365

To Jojo, I think dear fellow (or madam) you should post your comment changing the "to have" verb from present tense to past tense!!

By thurti365 at 17:34 on 19/10/12

Ah the dreaded Disappearing post strikes again I wonder where they go?

By jojomojomoto at 18:31 on 19/10/12

If you put quargo in google search then click on home in the search panel it's there

By jojomojomoto at 18:53 on 19/10/12

• Profile image for limawhiskey

Posset Pie
    Just click :-

comments@quargo.co.uk

By limawhiskey at 21:13 on 19/10/12

Linky not worky Ha ha I wonder why

By jojomojomoto at 21:19 on 19/10/12

Mr Barry Walters (Danpan) you are the Moron I think you need to get a life

By jojomojomoto at 16:37 on 20/10/12

• Profile image for sarahmac

Oh dear, looks ike anither thread has been hijacked. Why can't people discuss in a mature way. I've fallen into the trap of responding to the bullies who use these sites but not any more. I think that Mrs Stanley and Mrs Hennessey have valid points and surely anybody who cares about what is going on in their town should be wondering what is going on in the council especially after reading the first poster in this topic.

By sarahmac at 16:59 on 20/10/12

• Profile image for Danpan

Of course Sarahmac, that's because you are either Mrs Henessey, Stanley or the owner of the Galley Cafe!

By Danpan at 17:11 on 20/10/12

• Profile image for sarahmac

I neither know or have met these ladies but also have no intention of getting dragged into whatever game you are playing on here and if you are a council member as the earlier post indicates then you should be ashamed of yourself.

By sarahmac at 17:15 on 20/10/12

Sarahmac, were you too cool for school?
    Did you even go to school?

By Danpan at 17:29 on 20/10/12

Can we meet Danpan so I can see who you really are instead of hiding behind a false name

By jojomojomoto at 19:32 on 20/10/12

• Profile image for thurti365

To Jojo my dear fellow, do not fall into the trap of adopting the same low standards of that person you mention who hijacked the Evening Post site for most of the weekend targeting two local ladies who have enlightened my knowledge on various matters. One has even passed me information by email to ensure I have correct material after seeing my contact details on this site left regarding another matter. This resulted in my improved learning about some of the characters recently registered on sites like this just to criticise those with truthful information and who raise genuine concerns about issues. Very sad business and particularly to see that one dislikeable chap who fears pertinent connected comments on this site and The Post is a person who runs a local company.

Apropos using real names or pseudonyms, I have been made aware of information that if one person uses her real name, she becomes the prey of those who accuse her of self-promotion (sound familiar) and one lady has been viciously impersonated many times. If they use a nom de guerre they are targeted for not using their real name by those who also do not use their real name.

If my summary is accurate, I would suggest you all copy this comment with haste before it disappears into the void of Portishead facts that others do not want us to know.

By thurti365 at 17:18 on 21/10/12

No it's ok if it disappears it will be on Posset Pie the truth is out there they can't stop it now

By jojomojomoto at 22:04 on 21/10/12

I'm sorry for using a false name Ms jojomojomoto...

By Danpan at 07:09 on 22/10/12

I think you are a troll and afraid to meet me and your Billy Goat Gruff will be along shortly to short you out false accusations will get you nowhere and calling me a moron is not the sort of thing to do on a forum so unless you have something more constructive to say I suggest you say nothing

By jojomojomoto at 12:58 on 22/10/12

I realise that some folk do just use these sites to vent their anonymous vitriol but nobody actually answered in favour or against the simple question of whether council meetings should all be recorded. It seems the only places I can get information on council meetings is by using their site where information is very selective, the Life magazine which is very one sided or by the Posset pie website which at least seems to be open and honest about matters. Surely the simple solution for fairness and transaparency would be to simply record meetings. They could even make money from it by selling copies to interested parties.

By Hillcran at 11:18 on 23/10/12

• Profile image for liese_stanley

Hillcran, the ex-clerk of Portishead Town council used to use a small voice recorder to tape meetings, really to back up his own minute writing. Although poor in quality it has in the past been useful to verify comments after accusations regarding what was said or not said during meetings needed verification. The new clerk has said that she does not intend to record meetings, personally I feel that this is a shame as recordings protect both the councillors and the public.
    With regard to North Somerset Council, I think that they really missed a trick. Having spent close to £25 million pounds of taxpayers money on the Town Hall at Weston and Castlewood in Clevedon, neither were equipped with any equipment to not only record audibly or a webcam. Other councils (Scilly Isles, Cornwall, Brentwood to name a few) have introduced webcams to allow easy access for all residents to see a meeting. Especially important for those who are disabled, do not have transport, work during hours when meetings take place etc etc. Also a way of displaying your council's intention to be transparent, honest and accessible. Why on earth has it not happened here?
    As you point out minutes are an incredibly edited version of events as well as being an archaic form of reporting in this modern world.

By liese_stanley at 10:57 on 24/10/12

Thank you for your informed answer Liese Stanley. It does make you wonder what they feel they cannot share with those of us who pay our council taxes and expect a little transparency. I muts say that for a town that has expanded rapidly the locla councillors still sem to be living in a byegone age. They either need to move with the times and embrace new technology or young blood needs to be found that will take the town forward instead of allowing a few people to hold it back. My husband says that maybe they want to keep thinking of it as a village just so that their role as village idiots doen't disappear. Usually I would not agree but the proof does rather seem to be in the pudding.

By Hillcran at 19:16 on 24/10/12

Join the Discussion

max 4000 characters

Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min rent is bigger than Max rent